Dr. Jeanne Shiffman
Jeanne Willis Shiffman, MD was introduced to integrative medicine during her first year at Georgetown University School of Medicine by world renowned Dr. James Gordon, and she has been pursuing studies in the field ever since. Before Georgetown, Dr Shiffman worked for the federal government for over 6 years, and she brings these skills to her medical practice to help her patients get to the root of their problems. Dr Shiffman likes to works with her patients as a team and is respectful of her patients’ ideas and goals.
Dr Shiffman enjoys giving excellent primary and preventative care to patients of all ages and backgrounds. She has particular expertise in working on hormone imbalances for both men and women, including thyroid, adrenal fatigue, and menopause. She is a National Certified Menopause Practitioner by the North American Menopause Society. Every treatment plan is individualized, and both supplements and prescriptions may be used. Dr. Shiffman has also been successfully treating patients with medical acupuncture since 2004 and she is a member of the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture.
Dr Shiffman is board certified in Family Medicine and Integrative Holistic Medicine. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and completed her family practice residency at Georgetown University School of Medicine. She is taking advanced classes through the Institute of Functional Medicine and she participates in a monthly homeopathic study group. Dr Shiffman is an Associate Clinical Professor at both Georgetown and Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine.
Joined Inova Steinmetz Integrative and Functional Medicine Center: September 2008
- B.A. Russian Studies, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, (1989)
- Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C. Graduation, (1996)
- M.D., Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C. Graduation (2000)
- Helms Medical Institute, Medical Acupuncture for Physicians (2004-2005)Widely regarded as the premiere acupuncture course for physicians.
- Georgetown University/Providence Hospital Family Practice Residency, Washington, D.C.
- Resident Teacher Award – Awarded to the graduating resident demonstrating the highest interest and ability in teaching.
- American Board of Family Medicine, Diplomate American Board of Family Medicine
- American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine, 2010-Present
- Medical License, Virginia 2003-President
- Institute of Functional Medicine
- American Academy of Family Practice
- American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
- North American Menopause Society, Certified Menopause Practitioner
- American Holistic Medical Association
- Arlington County Medical Society
Clinical Teaching Affiliations
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center
- Virginia Hospital Center – Arlington, VA
- INOVA Alexandria Hospital – Alexandria, VA
- Menopause, Fatigue, Bio-Identical Hormones, Acupuncture, Complementary Cancer Care & Thyroid