Inova Steinmetz Integrative and Functional Medicine Center is pleased to offer a Nutrition Program that takes on a holistic approach to wellness. Our Nutrition Program is open to everyone, both current patients as well as those new to our practice.
Together with your Doctor our nutrition consultants work with you as part of our overall healing team. Our programs recognize that the foundation for optimal health involves a combination of balanced eating, regular exercise, stress reduction and appropriate nutritional supplementation.
- Suffering from debilitating fatigue?
- Concerned about your weight?
- Confused about what dietary advice to believe?
- Dealing with chronic stress?
- Waking up foggy and in need of a coffee to jump-start your day?
- Not sure how to kick the mid-afternoon sugar cravings?
- Want to use food as your medicine?
If you answered yes to any of these questions above then our Nutrition Team can help you by setting up an initial nutrition consultation.
We offer a variety of ways that we can work with you.
Our 12 week First Line Therapy *therapeutic lifestyle program focuses on a low glycemic eating plan with an overall goal to lower inflammation and improve body composition. This program results in both weight loss and improved energy. We typically meet two sessions per month. With some patients we do recommend high quality supplements and medical food to assist with reversing or preventing health issues such as high cholesterol, high glucose, high blood pressure to name a few.
Individual Nutrition Counseling Session
This is designed to assess and then target the particular unique needs of the patient. This may be ideal for the patient who is on the elimination diet, is working with certain allergies or would simply like an overall assessment of how nutrition may play a key role in achieving optimal health
21 Day Kick Start Detox Program
This program is ideal for the patient who has had trouble with weight loss and has a need to reboot their metabolism. This can help kickstart the weight loss process by supporting the liver. This will improve energy, reduce cravings and increase overall health. We utilize a healthy eating plan and high quality medical food as well.
Integrative nutrition consultations can address the following issues:
- Heart Disease
- Food Sensitivities
- High Blood Pressure
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Weight Management
- High Cholesterol
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- And many more
FirstLine Therapy *
What Makes the FirstLine Therapy Program Different?
- It’s not just a weight loss program – FirstLine Therapy addresses the underlying causes of common chronic disorders such as high blood pressure, high blood sugar, metabolic syndrome and many others. This program is designed to improve body composition by helping patients maintain muscle as they lose fat.
- The eating plan is different – While many diets focus on cutting out certain foods like fats, carbs or just less eating in general, the FirstLine Therapy eating plan encourages patients to eat frequently and eat the right kind of foods, the right kind of fat and the right kind of carbs.
- FirstLine Therapy incorporates medical foods and nutraceuticals – Medical foods are designed to address the unique nutritional needs of patients with specific health problems, while nutraceuticals provide targeted nutritional support for specific functions, such as support insulin sensitivity, healthy blood lipids, healthy glucose metabolism and more.
- FirstLine Therapy has been demonstrated to be effective in controlled clinical studies – Most other diets have not. This is a lifestyle change — not a quick weight loss plan.
- FirstLine Therapy provides everything you’ll need to implement a successful therapeutic lifestyle program. By combining a smart, easy-to-follow meal plan with additional nutritional support and moderate physical activity, patients can increase muscle, decrease body fat and enjoy better mental function, sex drive, sleep and more!
For more information about FirstLine Therapy at our practice, contact us today!
Our team also offers group programs in Stress Reduction and coming soon Cooking and Group Weight Loss programs as well.
Where to Start?
Simply call the front desk to schedule your initial consult with one of our nutrition consultants.
Your nutrition consultation begins with an assessment of your current diet and how it may be impacting your health. We discuss all that has brought you to where you are now including your family and health histories and then discuss how to best minimize any current risks. Therapeutic nutrition Interventions can often prevent, reverse or delay the onset of disease. Our trained Nutritional Consultants will work with you to put together an individualized health program, which may include a First Line Therapy program, all of which will help you reach your health goals.
We look forward to supporting you on your healing journey. We believe in food as medicine and we look forward to meeting you and your family.
Meet the Health & Wellness Coaches:
Cheryl Mirabella, MA, CHHC
Cheryl combines her background in counseling and psychology with her knowledge of nourishing whole foods to help coach her clients to live a more balanced and energized life. Her collaborative work with her clients involves creating meaningful goals, designing their new vision while gently supporting them on their unique journey, which includes tuning in to their own body wisdom.
Cheryl received her master’s degree in psychology & counseling from the University of Santa Monica and received certification from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition in NYC, as a health coach. She completed The Food as Medicine training sponsored by the Center for Mind Body Medicine (CMBM) where she also served as faculty. She went on to complete the CMBM Advanced Mind Body Skills training and continues to integrate those skills into her private practice and corporate workshops. She is currently coaching patients at Inova Steinmetz Integrative and Functional Medicine Center a functional medicine practice, as a certified lifestyle educator.
Cheryl is passionate about sharing what she has learned and conducts wellness workshops in organizations nationwide. She enjoys the process of educating and inspiring participants to consider their role in achieving optimal health in all areas of their life.
Katherine Sumner, CHHC
Katherine Sumner, co-founder of Nourish Schools, LLC is a Nutritional Consultant with a focus on nutrition support for the whole family.
After working in the pharmaceutical industry for several years and having her first child, Katherine became more passionate about the ways in which our body can heal itself if given what it needs. Fascinated by holistic health and the life-changing benefits of eating whole foods, Katherine delved into the world of holistic wellness. Her research led her to a program at New York’s Institute for Integrative Nutrition, then affiliated with Columbia University, where she received a dual certification in holistic health counseling and nutrition. She has also achieved a “Food As Medicine” certificate from the Center for Mind-Body Medicine and is currently completing a certification in herbal studies as well as a Certificate in Nutritional Consulting from Tulsi Holistic living.
Katherine believes in empowering ourselves and our children with the tools they need to live happier, healthier, and better lives.
Katherine holds a BBA from Emory University